Tuesday, December 25, 2012

MySpeed memory usage

MySpeed collects a lot of data which will end up filling up your memory and slowing down your phone. That's not good of course. My database was getting close to 10MB and I only had a couple of MB free so it became really noticeable. So I decided it was time to export the database and delete it. With such a big database that also takes a long time, but it does it eventually. A long time ago I added an option to store the database on the sdcard instead of internal memory, but that was much too slow to be useful so I never used it and didn't recommend it.

The next version of MySpeed will remove the option to store the database on the sdcard, and will warn when the database is getting too big. I guess it's a bit arbitrary what "too big" is, but I think 10MB is a good level, or if the size of the database is bigger than the amount of free space on the internal memory. I'll also add a bit to the web page to recommend tidying up frequently.

In case you're interested, I use MySpeed for an average of about 1½ hours per day, and it took 3 months to get to 10MB.