Wednesday, January 16, 2013

MySpeed 2.0.0 with routing

I've release version 2.0.0 of MySpeed. I've added routing. You can enter your destination, in the usual Google format, eg Long Street, Mytown, and it will show the route on the map as a green line. The main purpose of this is not as route guidance, but just so that MySpeed can avoid alerting for cameras that are not on your route.

I think it complies with the Google Maps TOS. As I understand, it would only violate them if MySpeed was to automatically update the route if you move off the route, or if I was to show turn-by-turn directions. But just in case, the next thing I'm going to try is using an OpenStreetMap view as well as the Google Map view.

A couple of other things I'm going to try are:

1. Add the ability to create MySpeed shortcuts. There will be two options when creating the shortcut: background/foreground and destination. So that you can, for example, create a shortcut which opens MySpeed and shows the route to your house. After adding this, I'll have a look to see if that makes it possible/easier to add a "navigate to" link to Contacts.

2. Add a MySpeed widget which just shows your speed. It will also run MySpeed in the background and alert on cameras. It will have an option to choose the widget size when you add it.