Friday, October 11, 2013

My getting started Android project - LoanCalculator

It's not a bad idea on getting started with a simple "Hello World" project. Properly there are many blogs/writeup, examples that already did that, I will just skip that and dive straight to something more interesting.
OK, herewith is what I want to build on Android as my getting started project - A loan calculator that calculates payment for a given loan amount, interest rate, payment interval and loan duration. This is handy as it's always my teaching example in my Java/JEE courses. This doesn't sound too interesting either, how about throwing in the following extra features ...

1. Get real time interest rates from the Net using Web Services or Http. Support getting rates for Canada and USA.

2. Store the interest rates in SQLite to support the calculation when Internet connection is not available.

3. Calculate Amortization schedule.

Sound too complicated for a getting started project? I am going to make myself easier by divided the project into 2 phases and has multiple iterations on each phase.

Phase 1 - The calculator itself without getting rates real time from the Net or from SQLite. User inputs the rate manually.

Phase 2 - Getting real time rates and offline storage in SQLite.

OK, we will start our Phase 1, iteration 1 on the next post.